Looking back through the blog, I noticed that there was a distinct lack of knitting. And as the blog was originally all about the knitting (and gardening and pets), I thought I’d update.
The last project I talked about was the sock yarn leftovers blanket, which I’m happy to report is all done and has been put to use. It’s a great size and a nice light weight.
Of course, now the question is what to do with leftover sock yarn, since I’m still knitting socks. Actually, the only thing I’m really finishing is socks, except for a string of accessories over the winter (3 pairs mitts, 2 pairs mittins, beret, scarf, cowl. I was on a bit of a roll and also needed some quick gifts. And it was cold.). And I am just nuts enough to embark on another blanket.
I’ve started four or five different options and I think I’ve finally found one. I used a Drops design as a starting point for large squares knit center out and after a whole lot of knitting and ripping, I think I’ve found something I like.
Having just done a huge blanket in garter stitch, I took the pattern above and knit it in stockinette. And it came out more circular than square, which really wasn’t the look I was going for. I tried blocking it out, but it was pretty hopeless. No pics of that, it’s been ripped.
Which brought me back to garter stitch — garter in the round is one round knit, one round purl. I did a sock once with the foot knit in the round and then switching to stockinette flat for the leg. It was an utter disaster; my purling must be much tighter, because there was no way to make the leg of the sock go around my leg, even though the foot fit perfectly. So I wondered if doing garter in the round would pull things in. And it did — perfectly.
A quick soak, a little stretch at the corners, and a perfect square was had. Yay!
Although I wasn’t happy with the blob of stockinette in the middle, from the cast on. I had used Judy’s Magic Cast On – which of all the options, I was liking best as it was least fiddly. And considering how fiddly it is, that’s saying something. Emily Ocher’s Cast On wasn’t bad, but made a bit of a belly button which wouldn’t block flat (no pics, ripped. lots of ripping happened).
There’s also that oh-so-attractive line in the middle of the right triangle where I switched from knit to purl and back at the beginning of each row. So this afternoon I watched My Neighbor Totoro and did a lot more casting on and ripping out and came up with this:
Which I think I can live with! Still using Judy’s Magic Cast On, but in the very first row did k1 p1 rather than all k. It sets up the corners and they make a nice X through the middle. The orange marker shows the beginning of the round, but I’m waiting to make the switch from knit to purl or purl to knit until the corner (the green marker). The corner looks a little different from the others, but not much, and it’s much better than in the middle of a side! So I’m quite pleased. I’ve made lots of notes, and now I have a pretty much mindless long term project on the needles again.
It’s mindless knitting, but it can’t be too mindless. At one point a certain cat got a paw on the cable of my circular needle and yoinked it out of my knitting. I’m learning to be a defensive knitter when she’s around.
We did a fourth of July road trip to PA to visit the parents. Someone was allowed out of her crate during rest stops, and while it was fascinating it was also scary (Fortunately, I was able to get her out from under the driver’s seat to get her back in her crate).